- Mommy’s Weird’s Mom
- King Street xing work next week
- A eulogy for Seth Martin of the immortal Smoke Eaters
- Saskatoon man killed in Fairmont crash
- Public info forum on Radon Sept. 29
- 3 facts you need to know
- Man in hospital after serious MVA
- Clock Tower Square project begins Monday
- A look at Radium’s 2012 Show and Shine
- Get rid of your cold with a detox bath
Abandoned campfires and hot weather cause concernPosted: August 10, 2012
A surge in the number of abandoned campfires, combined with high temperatures throughout the Southeast Fire Centre, has fire officials urging recreationalists to be extremely careful with campfires.
Fire wardens responded to 34 abandoned campfires over the B.C. Day long weekend, raising the number of abandoned campfires to 133 this season. Abandoned campfires can start wildfires. This season, nine campfires have escaped and caused wildfires.
With lightning in the forecast and hot and dry conditions anticipated, it is critical that the public remains vigilant.
The Fire Danger Rating is currently high in the Southeast Fire Centre with the exception of the Columbia Fire Zone, which is low to moderate.
* Since April 1, the Southeast Fire Centre has responded to 49 wildfires, 28 of which were person-caused.
* Leaving a campfire unattended can result in a $345 fine. If your campfire causes a wildfire, you may also be held liable for suppression costs and damages.
* To report a wildfire or unattended campfire, call *5555 on your cell phone or 1 800 663-5555 toll-free.
For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to:
You can also follow the latest wildfire news –
* On Twitter at: http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
* On Facebook at: http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo
Southeast Fire CentreTags: abandoned campfiresFire Danger RatingSoutheast Fire Centre
Windermere the place to be Sunday> Read More
A eulogy for Seth Martin of the immortal Smoke Eaters> Read More
Mommy’s Weird’s Mom> Read More
Not-normal narrative a supremely beautiful work> Read More
ICE beat Rebels in season-opener> Read More
3 facts you need to know> Read More
My job is to look beyond government spin> Read More
King Street xing work next week> Read More