- Man missing from Creston area
- Police request help in locating stolen vehicle
- Serious head injuries in truck bed tumble
- No reports of suspicious van targeting children
- McCormick outlines 10 ideas to help Kimberley
- Impaired driver causes crash
- RCMP seek witnesses to serious assault
- Rocky Mountain Rally coming to valley
- A license to file charges Friday night
- Community & Business Excellence Awards presented
BC Interior businesses seeing area-wide counterfeit money activityPosted: August 15, 2012
Heads up Kootenay business owners – there could be spill over.
The RCMP would like to advise the business communities throughout the Interior of the province that several areas have recently experienced a spike in counterfeit money passing.
Since 2012-07-26, RCMP have received 23 complaints where counterfeit currency was either passed or attempted to be passed in the communities of Oliver, Osoyoos, Okanagan Falls, Penticton, West Kelowna, Lake Country, Salmon Arm and Kamloops.
These incidents involve Canadian Bank Notes in the $20, $50 and $100 denominations from the Canadian Journey Series (2001 – 2006).
The public, merchants and businesses should always check the security features of the Bank Note before accepting. The security features to check are:
– the watermark or Ghost image,
– the security thread,
– the overall print quality,
– the metallic or holographic strip and,
– the puzzle number or see through number.
“The typical modus operandi is for the passer to make an inexpensive purchase and pay with a large denomination, in turn receiving a large percentage of change back in authentic currency, leaving the bogus bill in the till. Feel, look and flip the bank note to check the security features.” stated Cpl Dan Moskaluk.
The RCMP would like to raise awareness to the public, businesses and merchants of these recent incidents involving counterfeit currency.
For more information on counterfeiting prevention go to the Bank of Canada website at http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/counterfeit-prevention/
Cpl Dan Moskaluk
Southeast District RCMPTags: Bank of CanadaBC Interiorcounterfeit moneyCpl Dan MoskalukKamloopsLake CountryOkanagan FallsOliverOsoyoosPentictonSalmon ArmSoutheast District RCMPWest Kelowna
Breast cancer awareness fundraiser Nov. 1> Read More
Candidates provide some answers for voters> Read More
Fernie Council Connection> Read More
No reports of suspicious van targeting children> Read More
Action on Kimberley’s economic development front> Read More
Heritage Grains Workshop upcoming> Read More
Decade of Education for Sustainable Development ends> Read More
Allison Au Quartet Nov. 4 at Arts Station> Read More