- Fire Update – Whiteswan Area Fire
- Wildfire causes evacuation and closure of White Swan Provincial Park
- Southeast Fire Centre fighting fire near Canal Flats
- Area Restriction Order is in effect near the White Tail Brook fire
- Residents advised of scam; city files report with RCMP
- Invermere man arrested for July 27 stabbing
- Driver confusion causes extensive damage
- The Invermere MusicFest is here!
- New FM station approved for the East Kootenay
- Sparwood Council Facts
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
Residents advised of scam; city files report with RCMP> Read More
First Saturday Celtic party with Cod Gone Wild> Read More
Dusty Downhill this Saturday> Read More
Area Restriction Order is in effect near the White Tail Brook fire> Read More
Fire Update – Whiteswan Area Fire> Read More
Wildfire causes evacuation and closure of White Swan Provincial Park> Read More
Over $1.6 million given to B.C. women> Read More
The Invermere MusicFest is here!> Read More