- Local man injured in grizzly attack
- Grizzly attack survivor relates story
- Petition started to maintain campfire ban
- Gordon Rice found deceased
- Cherry Lake wildfire 50% contained
- Credit union connects parents with $1,200 grant
- Sow and cubs also seen near Kennedy Road
- Politics at its best? Or politics at its worst?
- Columbia Valley RCMP Report
- Election sign thefts under investigation
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: ‘Name the Bear’ contestDistrict of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson
Notes from City Hall> Read More
Wild Theatre opening with The Crucible> Read More
Bears show aggressive behaviour at Elkford> Read More
Caution urged with fire use> Read More
Grizzly attack survivor relates story> Read More
Bear sightings reported throughout Sparwood> Read More
Ktunaxa and Métis B.C. sign Health Protocol Agreement> Read More
At the Library> Read More