- Driver confusion causes extensive damage
- Air lifted cyclist NHL player
- Beer, spray paint and Flume swimming don’t mix
- Cyclist airlifted to Calgary after collision
- Cranbrook RCMP searching for missing man
- Camping options around Cranbrook
- Water line break closes 2nd Street South
- Health care support contract positions available
- Heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast
- Valley jail busy over weekend… and cows
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
A look at JulyFest No. 42> Read More
AIDS Walk for Life EK August 24> Read More
Beery good news from Elk River Alliance> Read More
1,944 holes and a hole-in-one> Read More
Park-on-Us-Campaign returning> Read More
Scenes from the Night Market> Read More
Driver confusion causes extensive damage> Read More
Air lifted cyclist NHL player> Read More