- Murder investigation steps up entering fifth anniversary
- Baker Street Café: new name and owners
- Land and Land Title act changes introduced
- RCMP in on search for missing Edmonton man
- Purcell Field House taking shape
- Outdoor Youth Leadership Program a success
- Cranbrook to Wardner Trail phase a success
- Just how stupid do they think we are?
- Chamber hires new Executive Director
- Have you met Jade?
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
More than $5,000 raised for three charities> Read More
Lease terms for adventure tourism operators increasing> Read More
Free transit applications for low income residents> Read More
Horoscope for the week beginning March 27> Read More
In Focus brings five photographers to Centre 64> Read More
Burn Fund Calendar winner> Read More
Reinhart, Valiev WHL all-stars> Read More
RCMP in on search for missing Edmonton man> Read More