- Calgary motorcyclist killed on Mile Hill
- Highways closed by fire and accident
- Two wildfires burning in East Kootenay
- Understanding the levels of evacuation
- Evacuation Order lifted; Alert in place
- Evacuation order for Kragmont area
- Burn out planned for Baynes area fire; Spilli flares up
- Baynes Lake, Spilli fires still under attack
- Campfires, open fires, fireworks banned across B.C.
- Cranbrook top municipal float in Calgary Stampede Parade
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
Burn out planned for Baynes area fire; Spilli flares up> Read More
Find off-street parking for RVs, boats and trailers> Read More
Unique Rocky Mountain escape in your backyard> Read More
Campfire ban begins for Cranbrook> Read More
Do I need an appraisal?> Read More
Bear sightings in Ridgemont in Fernie> Read More
EKDFP seeks admin contractor> Read More
Cranbrook top municipal float in Calgary Stampede Parade> Read More