- ICE advance to semi final match-up against Tigers
- Valley ‘leaders’ ask Clark to approve Jumbo
- Patio applications now being taken
- SD5 Board Notes
- Gullibility (also not) a mental disorder
- Another crack at the yoga chain world record
- Spring Honda Fun Run wins ALSSBC award
- Prepare your child for Kindergarten
- Canadian Victims Bill of Rights is historic
- Rogers resumes touring after illness
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
Camilleri delights all the senses> Read More
Jillian Michaels broke my bra> Read More
Meet Kyla Cornish: Mommy is Weird> Read More
Local government is non-partisan> Read More
3 facts you need to know> Read More
Another crack at the yoga chain world record> Read More
Trust’s environmental focus renewed> Read More
Rockies fundraising for new team bus> Read More