- Police search for hit and run driver
- High-risk arrest completed; witnesses sought
- The Benson Family
- Four arrested after extensive RCMP effort
- 3 facts you need to know
- Dog-napping in Cranbrook
- Cranbrook among Best Cities for Work in B.C.
- Cranbrook Canadian Tire moving
- RCMP seek info on a home invasion
- Police hunt for B&E suspect in Southview area
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
The Benson Family> Read More
A well-reasoned and wonderful story> Read More
3 facts you need to know> Read More
High-risk arrest completed; witnesses sought> Read More
Police search for hit and run driver> Read More
Horoscope for the week beginning Jan. 30> Read More
Wetlands should be B.C.’s top conservation priority: NCC> Read More
Le Vent du Nord at Key City Feb. 10> Read More