- No reports of suspicious van targeting children
- Police request help in locating stolen vehicle
- Man missing from Creston area
- RCMP seek witnesses to serious assault
- Serious head injuries in truck bed tumble
- McCormick outlines 10 ideas to help Kimberley
- Impaired driver causes crash
- A license to file charges Friday night
- Action on Kimberley’s economic development front
- Rocky Mountain Rally coming to valley
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
Breast cancer awareness fundraiser Nov. 1> Read More
Candidates provide some answers for voters> Read More
Fernie Council Connection> Read More
No reports of suspicious van targeting children> Read More
Action on Kimberley’s economic development front> Read More
Heritage Grains Workshop upcoming> Read More
Decade of Education for Sustainable Development ends> Read More
Allison Au Quartet Nov. 4 at Arts Station> Read More