- Earthquakes felt in Kootenays
- Semi crash slows Highway 3
- Idlewild Lake draw down begins Wednesday
- Sparwood man killed in accident
- Filling the pot of gold at the end the cancer rainbow
- Dreadnaught Ski Racing drives local tourism
- Costello tweet disputes avalanche report
- Calgary man killed in crash near Field
- Fatality crash on Hwy 43 near Sparwood
- Wildfire Classic boosts Burn Fund
Elkford names its bearPosted: July 26, 2012
The District of Elkford is one of the few communities around that has a concentrated and focused branding exercise underway.
Award-winning and respected far afield, the town’s branding campaign is a captivating, warm and humorous depiction of the ‘town at the start of the road.’
And now – the bear has a name. Samson.
During the week of May 20 – 26, the district participated in Local Government Awareness Week.
In an effort to help youth learn about the vital role local government plays in their day-to-day lives, the district held contests for elementary and high school children. The district hosted a ‘Name the Bear’ contest for elementary School children where the students were asked to provide a name for the Elkford bear and the reason why they thought the name was appropriate.
Staff then sent out a request to council asking that they select their three top favourite names from the student submissions that were received. The district received 25 entries in total. Based on council’s votes, the winners are:
1. Samson – submitted by Jered Plotnikoff, Grade 5
2. Buddy – submitted by Stephen Clerihew, Age 11
3. Osborn – submitted by Amber Foster, Grade 4
The official name of the Elkford bear is now Samson!
District of ElkfordTags: District of ElkfordJered PlotnikoffSamson‘Name the Bear’ contest
I wanted to, but I didn’t get it> Read More
3 facts you need to know> Read More
Calgary man killed in crash near Field> Read More
Climate funds for EK communities> Read More
Costello tweet disputes avalanche report> Read More
Wildfire Classic boosts Burn Fund> Read More
Dreadnaught Ski Racing drives local tourism> Read More
Horoscope for the week beginning April 24> Read More