- Avalanche warning for B.C. Interior ranges
- High-risk sex offender reported bound for Cranbrook
- Vaccinate or mask before visiting health-care facilities
- Kootenay MLAs press Liberals for Jumbo answers
- Ecosystem restoration planned for Lot 48
- Cold snap alert for East Kootenay
- Multiple charges following confinement and attack
- Old pyramid scheme but different name
- Successful city son urges people to never quit
- Columbia Valley RCMP Report
A head is worth more than $29Posted: July 19, 2012
Seventeen years ago I wrote one my first articles for the media. Since then I have written hundreds of articles, stories and press releases on police related issues.
The inspiration for my first article was a photo I’d taken of my very young daughter trying to put on my bike helmet. Well, I am still on that soap box. I ride thousands of kilometers on a bicycle every year. I along with fellow riders never go without a helmet. But there seems to be a number of persons who rarely if ever wear a helmet. Is there something they know that we don’t? Or visa versa?
I do know that if I fall and hit my head it’s going to hurt. If I fall hard enough the results could be far worse. So that brings me up to force. In my high school physics days I learned that force equals height x gravity. Gravity is 32 feet/sec. So if I read this right the taller you are the harder you hit. So why do parents force kids to wear helmets but don’t themselves? They, who presumably are taller, are going to hit significantly harder. Do the math. Maybe we should go back to something much simpler; a $29 fine for not wearing your helmet. I would hope that your head is worth a lot more than $29.
By Cpl. Chris Newel,
Kimberley RCMPTags: Cpl. Chris NewelKimberley RCMP
World’s best trained at Panorama> Read More
Avalanche warning for B.C. Interior ranges> Read More
Village council being sworn in> Read More
CDAC Presents: Members’ Winter Exhibition> Read More
Kootenay MLAs press Liberals for Jumbo answers> Read More
Vaccinate or mask before visiting health-care facilities> Read More
Tracks showing at Vogue> Read More
Ecosystem restoration planned for Lot 48> Read More