Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon
Date(s) - 14/08/2021 - 15/08/2021
Wasa Lake, B.C.
Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon – 2021 EVENT INFORMATION
The next email is for the general public and current and previous participants, volunteers, sponsors, community etc.
Wow! What a literal wild ride the past year has been, all thanks to COVID. We have all had a lesson or two on adversity and adapting. With that in mind, we are excited to be in the trenches planning for August– two days of thrilling events!
Basic Event Schedule
August 14 & 15, 2021 – two days of events. There is something for everyone and all abilities, from ages 4 years and up.
Saturday, August 14
A pancake brunch will be provided for all Saturday participants
- Sprint distance Triathlon/Duathlon
- Warrior Sprint
Sunday August 15
- The Standard distance Triathlon/Duathlon
- Standard Teams
- Warrior Standard
- BBQ lunch for all Sunday participants
Important Note: Limited number of registration numbers are available as 2020 participants have been rolled into the 2021 events. We expect to fill up quickly as the opportunity to participate in a live race has been long overdue!
This year’s 2021 events will be adapted to fit the BC PHO but we will continue to maintain the high standard and quality event we are known for.
Some of the specific changes will be:
- The biggest change is our 2021 event dates, August 14 & 15.
- There will be several wave starts instead of mass starts, with waves having separate arrival times.
- No live meetings, instead, we will host a virtual pre race meeting.
- Your event team will provide more communication via email and social media.
- Race bag pick-up location has been moved to Cranbrook.
- Meals served as to go.
- No medal ceremonies.
- No spectators at venue (best option to spectate is to volunteer).
- Trikids will be an exception in terms of spectators, allowing the children to have parent as support in the race to reduce volunteer contact (this year only).
We would like to acknowledge and thank BC Parks and EK Parks for working with us and allowing the event to occur during their peak season vs shoulder season. In doing so, we will be taking measures to ensure the events’ impact will be reduced as much as possible on the park’s recreational/tourism activities.
To ensure a safer event and accommodate water sport activities in August the swim element will be moved to the small north bay of the lake.
*** Important note: to keep up to date on event details, watch your inbox for our emails, as the most current info will be sent out via email to participants.
Our website will be updated as details become more specific with the rollout of BC’s restart plan, but with the challenge of time constraints, smaller details/adaptions may not be reflected on website.
SUPPORT ROLES and VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
Moving the race date to August has presented several challenges, with one important factor – having reduced planning time with a smaller committee. We have several roles that need to be filled and less time to reach out for volunteers, etc.
You do not need to live here to take on a committee role or a course captain (coordinator) role.
You just need to be:
- Safety conscious
- Detail oriented
- Have basic leadership skills to lead a group of volunteers
- Work with the event committee virtually
If interested, please contact us.
Event Support/Volunteer Openings
- Trikids Swim Captain – Saturday Only
- Trikids Run Captain – Saturday Only
- Trikids Check-In Captain – Saturday Only
- Adult Volunteer Captain -Saturday or Sunday or both
- Adult Run Captain – Saturday or Sunday or both
- Adult Bike Captain – support to the captain
- Safety Captain – Saturday or Sunday or both
- Check-in Captian – Saturday or Sunday or both
- Race Bag Pick-up Captain – Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- General Committee Members – roles are event planning based behind the scenes
GENERAL VOLUNTEER roles will be available online by July 5 via our website.
Go to Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon official website http://www.rmevents.com/triathlon/
or go directly to the Zone 4 link https://zone4.ca/register.asp?id=21922&lan=1&cartlevel=1