Desktop – Leaderboard

Home » Notes from City Hall

Posted: July 18, 2016

Notes from City Hall

Hot weather reminder

CityofKim LogoWatering in the City of Kimberley must be done between the hours of 4 to 10 a.m. and 6 to 10 p,m. Residents of properties with odd-numbered addresses should water only on odd-numbered days. Residents of properties with even-numbered addresses should water only on even-numbered days.

Summertime is construction time

To ensure the safety of all concerned, please keep a respectful distance in construction zones (minimum 90’ / 30 m) from any City crews or contractors, open ditches and heavy equipment. The city urges motorists to please be extra cautious and obey all road speed signs within city limits. Thank you for your cooperation.

City of Kimberley Smoking Bylaw

smokingCity Council adopted a Smoking Bylaw on January 25. The new bylaw regulates smoking within the City of Kimberley. There is no smoking inside Public Buildings, within 7.5 metres of an entrance, air intake or window of a Public Building, in or within 7.5 meters of a Public Municipal Open Space, and in or within 7.5 meters of an Outdoor Special Event area. Please obey the signage that has been installed at numerous locations within the city.

View the full bylaw.

Fireworks ban

With the dry weather, fireworks pose a fire hazard to the community. The City of Kimberley’s Fireworks Bylaw (No. 1558) prohibits the use of fireworks within the municipality. No person shall sell, discharge, explode, set-off, detonate, dispose of, or be in possession of fireworks within city limits. The penalty for committing a firework offence is up to $250. Any fireworks display requires a permit and approval from the Fire Chief. A licenced pyro technician must hold a valid Fireworks Supervisor’s Certificate issued by Natural Resources Canada, Explosives Regulatory Division. For more information on the use of fireworks within the City of Kimberley, contact the Kimberley Fire department at 250-427-4114.

Outdoor burning

openburningAll outdoor burning within the City of Kimberley is regulated under Bylaw No. 2364 and must be approved by the Kimberley Fire Department. Special occasion burning permits will be issued by the Fire Chief for fires in parks or recreation areas, burns for land clearing, and for approved barbecue pits for cooking purposes. It is unlawful to burn without a permit, to burn construction materials, to burn yard debris, or to burn in an outside barrel or outside incinerator. All approved burning within the City of Kimberley must be supervised at all times and have sufficient equipment on site to extinguish or control the burn.

Building Permits & Inspections

Planning a renovation or addition to your home? Dreaming of a new deck or garage? Remember to first obtain a Building Permit before starting your project. The permit and inspection process helps to ensure compliance with health, safety and zoning requirements. Building Permit application forms may be obtained at City Hall or the website. The Building Inspector can help you navigate the application process and discuss the relevant building code and other municipal requirements. If you have questions about the permit and inspection process, please contact the Building Inspector at 250-427-9655 or [email protected].

NorthStar Rails-to-Trails

Morning, afternoon or evening…the time is right to get out and enjoy this great trail connecting Kimberley and Cranbrook! Trail Maps and more info available at and also on Facebook. To report an issue with the condition of the trail, please contact: 250-427-9660 (Kimberley) or 250-489-0218 (Cranbrook).

Lead image: NorthStar Rails-to-Trails. Photo by Chris Newel

City of Kimberley

Article Share