- RCMP seek help in Elkford assault case
- Calgary firefighter drowns in Columbia Lake
- 2nd St. South disruption this morning
- Fireworks cancelled as temperatures soar
- Next steps in theatre replacement discussed
- High temps prompt heat stress alert
- Columbia Valley RCMP Report
- Campfire ban coming for Southeast Fire Centre
- Fires being battled near Cranbrook
- Injured bear in West Fernie
Appreciative crowd learns about White Water ParkPosted: May 15, 2012
Over 100 people crowded the Fernie Golf and Country Club Thursday evening (May 10) to listen to a presentation on the proposed Fernie White Water Park on the Elk River. Olympian Scott Shipley who has planned these white water parks all over the world was introduced by Fernie resident Dan Savage, a member of the newly formed park society.
Shipley spoke about the way these types of parks are built and answered questions about hazards, liability and safety. Shipley who specializes in building white water parks said that these aren’t just parks they are community parks where people watch what is going on in the river, sit and read and walk around on the banks. The draw isn’t just for the sport it is an economic impact for the community, it draws huge events and large numbers of visitors Shipley said.
The crowd seemed very appreciative of the information provided and Shipley drew a large round of applause after the presentation.
Photo, left to right, Dan Savage, Scott Shipley.
By Mary Giuliano
Tags: Dan SavageFernie Golf and Country ClubFernie White Water ParkScott Shipley
Discussion begins on future of park land in Wilmer> Read More
Random act of kindness> Read More
Columbia Valley RCMP Report> Read More
Kudos to the Sam Steele Society and volunteers> Read More
Campfire, fireworks ban for Fernie> Read More
High temps prompt heat stress alert> Read More
Watch for Cone Zoned areas: Mainroad> Read More
Steamboat back for fourth festival> Read More