- Police seek info after shots fired at city home
- Cranbrook chamber welcomes Site C approval
- Wasa celebrates opening of Pete Vereshagen Rink
- Don’t let a lending scam spoil your Christmas
- Kimberley’s Got Talent a sold out show
- Canada Summer Jobs applications now open
- Crash kills power for chunk of city
- Columbia Valley RCMP Report
- Hospital mortality rates decreasing
- Hey Mainroad, what the hell?
Appreciative crowd learns about White Water ParkPosted: May 15, 2012
Over 100 people crowded the Fernie Golf and Country Club Thursday evening (May 10) to listen to a presentation on the proposed Fernie White Water Park on the Elk River. Olympian Scott Shipley who has planned these white water parks all over the world was introduced by Fernie resident Dan Savage, a member of the newly formed park society.
Shipley spoke about the way these types of parks are built and answered questions about hazards, liability and safety. Shipley who specializes in building white water parks said that these aren’t just parks they are community parks where people watch what is going on in the river, sit and read and walk around on the banks. The draw isn’t just for the sport it is an economic impact for the community, it draws huge events and large numbers of visitors Shipley said.
The crowd seemed very appreciative of the information provided and Shipley drew a large round of applause after the presentation.
Photo, left to right, Dan Savage, Scott Shipley.
By Mary Giuliano
Tags: Dan SavageFernie Golf and Country ClubFernie White Water ParkScott Shipley
RDEK Board Highlights> Read More
Funds raised for animal rescue in region> Read More
Sparwood Council Facts> Read More
Elko Fire Protection closer to reality> Read More
Fernie Council Connection> Read More
Tenures close for valley IH director and chair> Read More
Cranbrook chamber welcomes Site C approval> Read More
Columbia Valley RCMP Report> Read More