Home » Intoxicated rowdies simmer when one is jailed

Posted: October 1, 2014

Intoxicated rowdies simmer when one is jailed

ssgtmshehovacColumbia Valley RCMP Report

By S/Sgt. Marko Shehovac

At 1:38 a.m. on Sept. 27, Columbia Valley Detachment members responded to a disturbance complaint at the Fairmont Hot Springs Resort. A number of intoxicated males were causing a disturbance and threatening to do damage. One male in particular became very vocal not wishing to participate in the peace process. Negotiations at the scene with one of the males, a 27-year-old from Medicine Hat, was failing due to his state of intoxication. It was decided to move the negotiations to the detachment cell block. This ended any and all further negotiations with the other males who called it a night.

Dog call appreciated; dog was okay

Columbia Valley Detachment Members were called to the Super 8 parking lot at 4 p.m. on Sept. 25, with a concern over the welfare of a dog in a vehicle dealing with a heat issue. Police responded and found that the owner had the windows down and a slight breeze going through the vehicle. The dog seemed to be in good spirits and condition. Appreciated that people are reporting such concerns and they should be checked out.

Abandoned 911 call at arena

Detachment was called to an abandoned 911 call coming from the Eddie Mountain Memorial Arena. Police attended and found no one other than the Rockies in any distress, starting the season 0-5. Boys will turn things around once they realize they have to stay out of the penalty box.

Maybe, possibly, problem cows

At 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 27 a report was received of three cows on the road on Highway 95 near Spillimacheen. Patrols were negative. They were deemed to be Golden cows, so Golden Detachment was alerted they might have problem cows to deal with.

Licence suspension

At 2 a.m. on Sept. 27, a detachment member observed erratic driving behavior when a ‘95 Mercury was observed failing to maintain its lane. The vehicle was stopped and it was determined that the 19-year-old driver from Radium Hot Springs had consumed some drugs and displayed signs of being impaired. The driver’s licence was suspended for 24-hours and the driver charged with driving contrary to conditions.

Tires slashed

At 11:06 a.m. on Sept. 28, the detachment received a report of tires on a 2010 Ford F150 being slashed in the 1700 block of Windermere Loop Road.

Dirt bike stolen

At 12:40 p.m. on Sept. 28, the detachment received a report of a theft of a yellow ‘77 Honda KLT 250 dirt bike. Bike was stolen from the front of a residence in the 1000 block of Hilltop Road. Anyone with information is requested to contact the detachment.

Speeder loses his stuff and messes up

At 8:10 p.m. on Sept. 28 a 2000 Hyundi Elantra driven by a 21-year-old male from Invermere was clocked well over the speed limit. An attempt to turn from Hwy 93/95 at Windermere Road resulted in the vehicle going into the ditch. While at the scene the vehicle became engulfed in flames due to the hot exhaust on the dry grass. The driver was charged with having no driver’s licence, excessive speeding as well as a ticket for open liquor in the car.

Transfer to Telegraph Creek

One of my previous stories I told you of a friend Tony who was stationed at Telegraph Creek where he hired a priest to bless the detachment as he thought it was haunted.

It took some time for the pencil pushing boys to reimburse him the money. At the time Telegraph Creek was a one-man detachment. The day came when Tony’s duty at Telegraph Creek was over and a replacement from the big City of Surrey was to take his spot. One can imagine the culture shock; Surrey to Telegraph Creek.

Tony decided to send the Surrey officer a tape of the community and the detachment. Tony at one time was on the Musical Ride and he had his horses. His wife taped him while he gave a tour of the office and he rigged the phone to ring. He took the call while his wife continued to record. Tony made like he was taking a complaint then turned to the camera and explained that he had to head out on a call and would be back to complete the tape.

The camera panned away and when it came back to Tony in full work uniform he’s mounting his horse outside the detachment explaining he will take care of this emergency and get back and complete the video. The video shows him galloping to a call. No police car?

Article Share