Desktop – Leaderboard

Home » Village and BCCOS honouring officer murdered in 1930

Posted: July 2, 2021

Village and BCCOS honouring officer murdered in 1930

The Village of Canal Flats, along with the BC Conservation Officer Service, the Society of BC Conservation Officers and their partners will be hosting a commemoration ceremony for Dennis Greenwood at Portage Park at 2 p.m. on July 5.

BC Provincial Game Warden Dennis Greenwood

BC Provincial Game Warden Dennis Greenwood was murdered in front of Roberts General Store and Post Office in Canal Flats on July 5, 1930.

“Mr. Greenwood was a much loved and respected resident of Canal Flats. You are invited to this event which will include the unveiling of a beautiful memorial to Mr. Greenwood. The weather will still be hot so it might be advisable to bring an umbrella for shade, some water and a folding chair,” the village stated on social media June 30.

British Columbia Law Enforcement Memorial published a piece on Dennis Greenwood in 2019.

Conservation Officer Service Game Warden Dennis Greenwood, along with his wife and two children, had driven from home to attend an afternoon court session in Canal Flats. He was to be a witness against William Floyd, a man charged by Greenwood for poaching three deer the previous winter.

“The accused, also a Canal Flats resident, had shot the deer out of season, and poisoned the carcasses in hope of killing coyotes and cashing in the hides for the bounty they carried. The facts of the incident had already been proven in court and on the day of the murder the accused and Warden Greenwood were to appear before Justice of the Peace Benjamin Luck in Canal Flats at 3 p.m. for the sentencing.

“On the street outside, the game warden and a Mrs. Roberts were standing beside Greenwood’s car when the accused approached Greenwood and asked to speak to him. Floyd cited privacy, so Greenwood followed him to the rear of the car. Mrs. Roberts went to speak to Mrs. Greenwood, who was seated in the car. Mrs. Roberts heard what she thought was a tire blowout and turned to the rear of the car, saw Greenwood fall to the ground and Floyd walking away.

“Floyd had drawn a Luger automatic pistol and shot Greenwood in the stomach at such a close range, that the end of the game warden’s tie was singed from the muzzle blast. Greenwood regained consciousness only once and asked to see his daughters. He died less than an hour after being shot. He was 36-years-old.

“Floyd was known as a quiet and soft spoken man who served during WWI as a sniper and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallantry in the field. Recent family and financial troubles and the summons to court on the wildlife matter may have “unhinged his mind.” At the subsequent murder trial, Floyd was found to be criminally insane, thereby escaping the death penalty.

Windermere Cemetery. e-KNOW file photo

“Newspaper reports of the day, accounting the details of Greenwood’s murder state: “Able and diplomatic in the discharge of his duties, courteous and in every way a gentleman, Mr. Greenwood had right from the start won the respect, admiration and affection of all with who he came in contact.”

“Greenwood had been a Game Warden for five years at the time of his murder.

“Two days after his murder, Greenwood was laid to rest in the small military section of the Windermere Cemetery. People came from all over to pay their last respects to an officer who was held in high regard by the community he served.

A married father of three daughters, Game Warden Dennis Greenwood was born in Bradfield, England, and was buried in Windermere. He saw service in the First World War as an artilleryman in  the Royal Artillery.

“In Canal Flats he was a storekeeper and postmaster, police officer and finally Provincial Game Warden.”

Image courtesy British Columbia Law Enforcement Memorial


Article Share