BCGEU donates building to Food Bank
The B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union (BCGEU) has donated the building the Cranbrook Food Bank calls home to the Cranbrook Food Bank Society.
The building, at 104-8th Avenue, was constructed in 1924 and was originally a private residence. The BCGEU’s ownership of the property was originally due to its partnership in the United Labour Mutual Holding Society (ULMHS).
Property assessment records show the society owned the building in 1992 though ownership may date back to the early 1980s. The BCGEU parted ways with the ULMHS in 2013 and became sole owners of the building as part of that process.
“The property on 8th Avenue was considered a potential location for a new area office for BCGEU staff and activists in the East Kootenay as our operations grew. However, instead of building on 8th Avenue we bought a space nearby that met our needs and moved our operations to that location in 2014,” said Danielle Marchand, BCGEU Press Secretary.
“When the time came to decide what to do with the property the BCGEU senior leadership team quickly rejected the idea of selling the building and decided instead to donate it to the food bank society. The market value of the property was assessed at $112,000 in August 2018 and, as part of our donation, we also paid the GST on the property gift to ensure the Food Bank Society wouldn’t have to incur financial burden,” she explained.
On Saturday, September 29, BCGEU senior leadership visited the building for a tour and to meet food bank volunteers.
Lead image: (L to R): Brian Smith (Director, Cranbrook Food Bank Society), Stephanie Smith (President, BCGEU), Gerry Oviatt (Manager, Cranbrook Food Bank Society), Paul Finch (Treasurer, BCGEU), Sussanne Skidmore (Executive Vice-president, BCGEU), Kari Michaels (Executive Vice-president, BCGEU), Tracie Rallison (Cranbrook Food Bank Society), William McKerrow (Local Chair, BCGEU). Photos submitted