B.C.’s COVID-19 update for January 6
B.C. is today reporting 3,223 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 273,731 cases in the province.
There are 31,817 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 238,524 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 324 individuals are in hospital and 90 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 408 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 2,807);
* 1,538 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 14,794);
* 662 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 9,594);
* 194 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 850);
* 417 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 3,765).
In the past 24 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for a total of 2,430.
There have been 16 new health-care facility outbreaks.
As of Thursday, Jan. 6, 88.4% (4,406,651) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.1% (4,140,207) have received a second dose.
In addition, 92.1% (4,267,843) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.3% (4,139,941) have received their second dose and 22.5% (1,042,480) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.4% (3,998,399) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.8% (3,883,599) have received their second dose and 24.1% (1,041,515) have received a third dose.
From Dec. 29 to Jan. 4, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 16.5% of cases. From Dec. 22 to Jan. 4, they accounted for 41.1% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Dec. 29 to Jan. 4) – Total 23,282
* Not vaccinated: 3,286 (14.1%)
* Partially vaccinated: 548 (2.4%)
* Fully vaccinated: 19,448 (83.5%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 22 to Jan. 4) – Total 333
* Not vaccinated: 125 (37.5%)
* Partially vaccinated: 12 (3.6%)
* Fully vaccinated: 196 (58.9%)
* Not vaccinated: 487.9
* Partially vaccinated: 191.7
* Fully vaccinated: 423.2
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 22 to Jan. 4)
* Not vaccinated: 29.5
* Partially vaccinated: 9.0
* Fully vaccinated: 4.2
Since December 2020, the province has administered 9,552,369 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
Lead image and inset information from BC Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 Data