B.C.’s COVID-19 update for July 8
As of Thursday, July 8, 78.4% (3,635,811) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 40.0% (1,854,387) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 59 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 147,915 cases in the province.
There are currently 649 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 145,491 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 74 individuals are currently in hospital and 19 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 19 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 175);
* 21 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 175);
* 10 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 236);
* Two new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 30);
* Seven new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 22);
In the last 24 hours, one new death (Interior Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,760.
Currently, there are three active outbreaks in:
* acute care: Laurel Place at Surrey Memorial Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital (Fraser Health) and Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
Since December 2020, the province has administered 5,497,150 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Lead image: The Cranbrook IH Immunization Clinic is now being held at Parkland Middle School. Carrie Schafer/e-KNOW photo