B.C.’s COVID-19 update for October 7
As of Thursday, Oct. 7, 88.5% (4,103,158) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.1% (3,804,517) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.0% (3,849,682) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.8% (3,582,130) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 624 new cases of COVID-19, including four epi-linked cases, for a total of 191,748 cases in the province.
There are 5,929 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 183,406 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 373 individuals are in hospital and 132 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 118 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 1,142);
* 258 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 2,323);
* 78 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 823);
* 91 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 813);
* 79 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 770).
In the past 24 hours, four new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,996.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health) and Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health) have been declared over, for a total of 16 active outbreaks.
From Sept. 29-Oct. 5, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.8% of cases and from Sept. 22-Oct. 5, they accounted for 78.3% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 29-Oct. 5) – Total 4,840
* Not vaccinated: 3,117 (64.4%);
* Partially vaccinated: 309 (6.4%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,414 (29.2%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 22-Oct. 5) – Total 429
* Not vaccinated: 302 (70.4%);
* Partially vaccinated: 34 (7.9%);
* Fully vaccinated: 93 (21.7%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 29-Oct. 5)
* Not vaccinated: 304.2;
* Partially vaccinated: 86.8;
* Fully vaccinated: 34.3.
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 22-Oct. 5)
* Not vaccinated: 46.1;
* Partially vaccinated: 15.5;
* Fully vaccinated: 2.1.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,921,070 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Lead image: BC Centre for Disease Control information showcasing a marked increase in COVID-19 cases in Cranbrook up to October 2. BCCDC