B.C.’s COVID-19 update for Sept. 17
As of Friday, Sept. 17, 86.5% (4,008,076) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.9% (3,659,495) have received their second dose.
In addition, 87.0% (3,764,087) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.8% (3,452,697) have received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 768 new cases of COVID-19, including 19 epi-linked cases, for a total of 177,954 cases in the province.
There are currently 6,031 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 169,653 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 298 individuals are in hospital and 135 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 183 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 1,499);
* 239 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 1,846);
* 83 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 1,043);
* 161 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 933);
* 102 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 700).
In the past 24 hours, 11 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,888.
The new deaths include five in Interior Health
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks.
From Sept. 9-15, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 75.9% of cases and from Sept. 2-15 they accounted for 86.2% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 9-15) – Total 4,804
* Not vaccinated: 3288 (68.4%);
* Partially vaccinated: 358 (7.5%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,158 (24.1%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 2-15) – Total 384
* Not vaccinated: 310 (80.7%);
* Partially vaccinated: 21 (5.5%);
* Fully vaccinated: 53 (13.8%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 9-15)
* Not vaccinated: 312.9;
* Partially vaccinated: 91.5;
* Fully vaccinated: 29.5.
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 2-15)
* Not vaccinated: 43.2;
* Partially vaccinated: 8.4;
* Fully vaccinated: 1.2.
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 35.1 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,675,294 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
e-KNOW file photo