Desktop – Leaderboard

Home » Financial help available for those affected by flooding

Posted: July 2, 2020

Financial help available for those affected by flooding

Emergency Management BC (EMBC) has authorized disaster financial assistance (DFA) for those who experienced damage as a result of the flooding and debris flows triggered by the May 31 heavy rainfall event.

Those who may qualify for this assistance include: homeowners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations and local government bodies, who were unable to obtain insurance to cover these disaster-related losses.

Applicants should first check with their insurance agent to determine if their insurance policy provides coverage for the resulting damage. DFA is available only for essential, uninsurable losses.

Information about Disaster Financial Assistance is available on the DFA web site. There you will find the DFA Application Form, ‘Disaster Financial Assistance Guidelines for Private Sector’, information bulletins about DFA and insurance and ‘One Step at a time – A Guide to Disaster Recovery.’

Application forms can be downloaded from the Emergency Info page on and are available through the Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) on request by phoning 1-888-478-7335.

Applicants are encouraged to submit applications to EMBC. The deadline is September 28. EMBC will confirm eligibility and evaluators will contact eligible applicants to discuss the DFA program requirements and schedule an on-site visit.

Applicants should be aware of the following:

  • Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80% of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000.
  • Claims may be made in more than one category (e.g., homeowner and farm owner).
  • A homeowner or residential tenant must show that the home is their principal residence.
  • Seasonal or recreational properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items, and recreational items (like bicycles) are not eligible for assistance.
  • Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate it is their primary source of income. Owners of damaged rental property must apply and qualify as a small business. Applications must be submitted by the deadline in order to be considered.

As the program is Provincial, all questions about DFA, eligibility, or how to submit a claim, should be directed to Emergency Management BC at 1-888-257-4777 or by email at [email protected]

The RDEK is grateful to EMBC and the province for understanding the severity of the May 31 rain event and for stepping forward to help our residents and business owners manage the costs associated with the clean-up and repairs.

Lead image: Fairmont Creek cutting through Mountainside Golf Course at Fairmont Hot Springs, one of the areas impacted by evacuation alerts following the May 31 rain event. This image shows the creek mellowed on June 29. Ian Cobb/e-KNOW photo


Article Share