Four simple rules to improving life
We live in a world of opposites.
For millennia the world believed that the sun revolved around the earth. What could be more obvious? The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. We know that this has been proven to be the exact opposite of reality, what appears to be real is an illusion. Learning to accept what appears to be real as just an illusion is not easy, however, if you want to have a happy healthy abundant life it is an essential trait to learn.
We all are busy; work, family, community. We know our need to rest and relax is essential it is easy to ignore. We will give up recreation or family time for work, or in some cases, we will give up work for the family time, either way, the balance of our lives will get out of sync. When that happens, something is going to give and often the result is not pleasant.
The irony is that what we really should do is exactly opposite to what our human nature says we need to do; instead of working more, we should work less. Instead of trying to find more time for ourselves we should devote more time to others, either family or community. There are several key principles that are laws of nature that we tend to ignore, changing our approach and giving them more importance in our lives, can make life more rewarding, filled with abundance and good health.
These four rules are the opposites that can change lives.
- Giving gets – The more you give the more you receive. Spend more time volunteering in your community, giving of your time and talent to the benefit of others with no consideration for what you will receive in return will result in you receiving more than you give. J. Paul Getty, the great American industrialist, once said that his secret to success was helping others to be successful. His company had more millionaires working there than any other company in the country.
When you think you don’t have enough time to devote to your job or business, go join a service club, give back to your community. Volunteer do something that is a contribution, you will be amazed at the impact this will have. Learn to pay it forward, giving of yourself to the benefit of others is the key to the abundance of the universe, which is waiting for you to insert the key and unlock that outpouring of abundance. This is the opposite of what your instinct tells you to do. Your initial reaction is to dismiss this as nonsense and to try to work harder to spend more time at your business.
Watch this interview with Arianna Huffington, which supports this concept.
- Gratitude – Be grateful every day for all that you have received. It could be as simple as saying thank you for the air your breath, just be grateful. Write it down, start a daily journal and write down what you are grateful for every day. Don’t question this one, just do it, it will change your life.
- Forgive – Whenever you feel you have been mistreated or maligned by something or one, say I forgive you. Put it on your calendar that you forgive. Don’t hold a grudge, get rid of it, forgive and forget. You will be amazed how your life will change when you forgive, it is the key to your happiness.
- Love – Nothing could be more important than to love. Love is the answer; it is the elixir of life. Love one another, be kind to your fellow man. Love all mankind. Love destroys hate, it will heal a broken heart, it will lead to peace.
Four simple rules which if you practice will make you better time managers, improve your business and your health.
Johnny Mercer, one of the great composers of the 20th Century once commented, that when a producer would call with a request for a piece for a specific movie, he would sit down at the piano and if the inspiration did not come in the first 15 or 20 minutes he would go out. His favourite pastime was to play golf, on his return invariably the inspiration for the song would come and in no time the composition would be complete.
Every day is exactly the same as it has been for millennia. Nothing changes except the seasons. Life is not a rat race. Whatever appears to be the reality to you is not real. You can take control of your life, accomplish more and be happier and healthier and live longer, just do exactly the opposite from what your inner self-suggests.
It’s your time, you can think your way to success.
– Colin J Campbell, CLU, CH.F.C. is managing partner of Guidance Planning Strategies Ltd. in Cranbrook. An independent wealth management firm, specializing in helping families and entrepreneurs create wealth and keeping it for generations.