Desktop – Leaderboard

Home » Permit needed to cut or collect wood on Crown land

Posted: November 18, 2019

Permit needed to cut or collect wood on Crown land

With many parts of B.C. experiencing colder weather and more people lighting their fireplaces and wood stoves, residents are reminded that anyone who cuts, collects or uses firewood must ensure that it is collected legally.

A Free Use Permit for Firewood is free and allows people to collect and transport firewood from eligible Crown land for their personal use. Obtaining a permit is easy, since the application form is available online. Alternatively, people can visit their local natural resource district office to apply for a permit in person.

For each natural resource district, the firewood permit describes areas where firewood collection is permitted, allowable collection methods and how much firewood can legally be collected.

It is important for applicants to confirm that the wood they wish to cut or collect is on Crown land, not on private land or on a First Nations reserve.

Maps of natural resource districts are available online or at the district office to assist applicants.

There is no charge for the wood that is collected under a Free Use Permit for Firewood. However, the applicant must:

* read and understand the conditions of the permit prior to signing it (the permit must be signed and dated by the person who is collecting the firewood);

* carry the permit at all times while collecting or transporting firewood; and

* produce the permit at the request of a natural resource officer, conservation officer or peace officer.

Cutting down trees on Crown land without an appropriate permit (or selling any such firewood) is illegal and could result in the cancellation of the permit, possible forfeiture of the firewood and/or a violation ticket or other monetary penalty under the Administrative Remedies Regulation.

Unlawful firewood collection can create safety hazards for recreationalists and other forest users. It can also negatively affect ecosystems, including fish and wildlife habitat.

Purchasing firewood:

* The public can do its part to stop the illegal collection of firewood by only buying firewood from legitimate producers who sell wood obtained either on private land or through authorized Crown land harvesting tenures.

* Anyone buying firewood should ask where the firewood comes from (Crown land or private land) and ask for a record of purchase.

* For firewood that has been harvested on private land, the buyer should ask the seller for the district lot number and timber mark number.

* For firewood that has been harvested on Crown land, legitimate commercial firewood producers should have a Forestry Licence to Cut document signed by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.

Anyone who wishes to notify the ministry’s Compliance and Enforcement Branch about possible illegal wood collecting activities can call the natural resource violations reporting line toll-free at 1 877 952-7277 (or #7277 on a cellphone), or submit a report online.

Firewood permit applications and maps of natural resource districts in B.C. are available online.


Article Share