IH declares COVID-19 outbreak at Elk Valley mines
Interior Health today (Dec. 16) declared a COVID-19 outbreak related to the Teck mining operations near Elkford and Sparwood.
The outbreak has 27 confirmed cases and spans three sites operated by Teck Coal Ltd. impacting Interior Health and out-of-province residents.
- Active Water Treatment facility construction project: 15 confirmed cases.
- Fording River Operations: eight confirmed cases.
- Elkview Operations: four confirmed cases.
Cases have been identified with residences in multiple jurisdictions, including Interior Health, Vancouver Island Health, Alberta, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
Ten of the 27 cases reside within Interior Health and these cases are self-isolating with support from local public health.
Interior Health has been working closely with Teck to monitor local operations and is confident the proper practices and procedures are in place for environmental cleaning, symptom screening and physical distancing to prevent community transmission of COVID-19.
There is currently no indication of COVID-19 spread into the community, however, everyone in all communities should remain vigilant.
The public is reminded to follow all COVID-19 precautions and current public health orders:
- Keep to your household bubbles and avoid social gatherings.
- Limit all non-essential travel.
- Stay home when you are sick and get tested if you have any symptoms consistent with COVID (see below).
- Practise physical distancing and use a mask if you cannot.
- Wash your hands often.
Booking a COVID-19 test:
Online: You can book an appointment online through the COVID-19 Test Booking Form: https://interiorhealthcovid.secureform.ca/index.php
By phone: Call the COVID-19 Test Booking Line at 1-877-740-7747 for assistance with booking your test.
Testing is available for people with cold, influenza, or COVID-19-like symptoms, including:
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Loss of sense of taste or smell
Body aches (muscles and joints aching)
Other milder symptoms may include: runny nose, fatigue, sore throat, vomiting and red eyes.