Sparwood Council Facts
Development Variance Permits
Draft DVP 2019-002 for Spardell Mobile Home Park Draft
DVP 2019-003 for Elk Valley Mobile Home Park
Council withdrew its motion of March 19 to consider authorizing notices being sent out for development variance permit applications for the Spardell Mobile Home Park and the Elk Valley Mobile Home Park. Staff will provide further information on both of these applications for council’s consideration at the April 16 regular meeting.
Draft DVP 2019-004 for 1241 Sycamore Road
Council authorized that notices be sent to the owners and occupants residing within 60m of 1241 Sycamore Road to advise them that council will be considering varying a section of the Zoning bylaw at the May 7 regular meeting. If approved, the variance will reduce the side yard setback to 0.6 metres for the purpose of constructing a garage.
If you live within the 60m radius of this property and believe you will be affected by this variance, please share your comments with council. You will be provided an opportunity to be heard at a hearing on April 30, or you may submit your comments in writing to the District of Sparwood or by email before noon on Tuesday, April 30.
Graduated Licensing Program for Motorcycles
Council authorized a letter of support to be provided to the District of Kitimat in its efforts to have the Provincial Government implement the final phase of the graduated licensing program for motorcycles including power restrictions and mandatory training.
Early Years Committee
Council approved funding of the Leisure Centre Hall rental for the Sparwood Early Years Committee Kindergym program for 2019-2023. The committee is a volunteer led community organization that connects service providers with caregivers, families and parents with children aged birth to six years of age.
Committee of the Whole Meeting
Council approved the following recommendations from the March 26 Committee of the Whole Meeting:
- 2019 Community Cleanup will be held on May 4 from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. (meet at the Spray Park);
- Civic Recognition Policy was adopted (this policy amends the date for a volunteer recognition event to the first Sunday in May and introduces a Volunteer Organization Recognition Award);
- Storage Sheds on Public Lands Policy was adopted (this policy establishes the guidelines for storage facilities on public lands by organizations);
- Staff was directed to provide a report to Council on the status of the sports fields located at 421 Pine Avenue (Mountainview School); and
- Staff was directed to contract an audio-visual specialist to evaluate the set-up in Council Chambers to see how council meeting videos can be improved.
Council authorized the execution of an agreement between Urban Systems Ltd. and the District of Sparwood for engineering consulting services for the 2019 Public Works capital projects. These projects include:
- pre-design for upgrades at the Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP);
- return activated sludge pump chamber at the WWTP
- Buckthorn lift station
• Well #1 and 2 pump upgrades • Elk River Crossing walkway lights • gravel road seal coating; and
• various sidewalk replacements
UPCOMING DISTRICT MEETINGS
- SCEEAC Meeting in Council Chambers on Monday, April 15 at 6 p.m.
- Regular Council Meeting in Council Chambers on Tuesday, April 16 at 6 p.m.
- Special (CBT Community Initiatives) Meeting in Council Chambers on Wednesday, April 17 at 6 p.m.
District of Sparwood