Sparwood Council Facts
The Municipal Ticket Information (MTI) Bylaw was adopted. The previous bylaw was adopted in October 2018 and since then council has adopted a new Parks and Trails Bylaw which required inclusion in the MTI bylaw in order that the Bylaw Enforcement Officer can enforce any offences that may occur through municipal tickets.
Alternative Approval Process – Fire Hall #2
Council approved the Elector Response Form for conducting the Alternative Approval Process (AAP) to obtain approval of the electors for a Loan Authorization Borrowing Bylaw to renovate and expand Fire Hall #2 in Sparwood Heights. The deadline to receive elector responses was set at 4 p.m. on September 13, and the estimated number of eligible voters for this AAP is 2,763.
400 Evergreen Crescent
Council approved entering a 99-year lease with the Elk Valley Family Society for the lands located at 400 Evergreen Crescent. The society plans to construct an affordable housing development on the site.
Active Transportation Infrastructure Grant
Council authorized the submission of a grant application to the BC Active Transportation Infrastructure Grant Program for up to $272,357.93 and include a 30% district contribution up to $116,724.83 for the Michel and Ponderosa Walkway Project. The purpose of the project is to develop a pathway along Michel Creek Road and along the west side of Ponderosa Drive from Sparwood Heights Drive to Carbonado Court.
Council approved an amendment to the funding source in the 2021-2025 Capital Plan for the Centennial Square project and will borrow funds through internal reserves instead of long-term borrowing. Council also approved allocating $95,000 in the 2023 capital budget for a stage and $105,000 in the 2024 capital budget for a playground.
Strategic Priorities Update
Council accepted the Strategic Priorities Chart, updated to June 2021, which outlines the progress made on strategic priorities over the past four months. The Chart reflects the timelines for completion of the tasks that are currently underway by staff on both council and operational strategies.
The Committee-of-the-Whole provided direction to staff on the following projects:
Hot Tub Repair Options:
- Replace the three supply and return lines to the hot tub; and
- Investigate options for replacement of the hot tub.
- Proceed with concept plans for a sidewalk and crosswalks connecting 2nd Avenue and Pine Avenue;
- Proceed with concept designs for asphalt rehabilitation on Ponderosa Drive between Sparwood Heights Drive and Cypress Drive and at the Douglas Fir / Pine Avenue intersection;
- Combine the Centennial Street asphalt rehabilitation with the Centennial Plaza revitalization project;
- Include a small parking area on the top bench of Elk Valley (Michel) Cemetery; and
- Redesign improvement options for the Sparwood Heights Drive / Ponderosa Drive intersection.
The following meetings will take place in Council Chambers (136 Spruce Avenue) at 6 p.m.
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, August 17
- SCEEAC Meeting on Wednesday, August 25
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, September 7
The Regular Council Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, August 3 at 6 p.m. has been cancelled.
District of Sparwood