Sparwood Council Facts
Sparwood Golf Club
Mayor and council were pleased to present members of the Sparwood Golf Club with the 2020 Volunteer Organization of the Year Award. The club members and many volunteers took it upon themselves, in a pandemic, to take over and operate the facility and in doing so, made the club a successful operation and an excellent amenity and service for residents and visitors of the district.
Sparwood Housing Market Study
Intelligence House Ltd. made a presentation to council on a housing market study they completed for the district. Their presentation included a statistical market analysis, a demographic study, and an evaluation of affordability levels of purchasing and renting in Sparwood.
Elk Valley Economic Initiative
Taylor Jenkins, Elk Valley Economic Recovery Advisor made a presentation to council on the Elk Valley Economic Initiative and job goals over the next year including engagement with businesses in the Elk Valley to develop a business retention and expansion report.
Officers & Officials Bylaw
Officers and Officials Bylaw No. 1288, 2021 was given three readings. This bylaw will replace outdated related bylaws and policies, address gaps in current administration practices, and gaps in short and long-term disability coverages.
Financial Signing Authority
Council appointed the new Financial Analyst, Tao Liu, providing interim financial leadership coverage, as signing authority with the Royal Bank of Canada, East Kootenay Community Credit Union, and the Municipal Finance Authority of British Columbia until the Director of Finance returns from an approved leave.
Multi-Purpose Facility Advisory Committee
Council appointed Duane Allen, Barb Anderson, Calvin Domin, Roger Fairhurst, Mike Harrington, Kelvin Hughes, Rachael Osborn, and Frank Sopko to the Multi-purpose Facility Advisory Committee.
The committee will be responsible for making recommendations to council on the future development of a new dry floor community recreation centre including:
- Facility location/site options;
- The desired composition and functionalities of the facility and facility subcomponents;
- The size of the facility, subcomponents, amenities, furnishings, equipment, and parking required to service the facility;
- The preferred construction methodology for the facility;
- Construction materials and related choices;
- The site servicing and landscaping needs of the facility;
- Regional use implications and opportunities;
- Operational considerations for the new facility;
- Operational cost implications including staffing, utilities, and maintenance costs; and
- Total cost of the Facility development including land acquisition, engineering, design, construction, site servicing, landscaping, furnishings, and any other cost directly related to the project.
UPCOMING DISTRICT COUNCIL MEETINGS
The following meetings will take place in Council Chambers (136 Spruce Avenue) at 6 p.m.
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, September 7.
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, September 21.
District of Sparwood