Desktop – Leaderboard

Home » Notes from City Hall

Posted: June 9, 2020

Notes from City Hall

Contacting City Hall

City Hall has re-opened to the public with several health and safety measures in place designed to protect City Hall staff and the public. Hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and we will only be open for payments of utility bills and property taxes as well as license fees, permit fees and transit passes. Mondays and Wednesdays are reserved for seniors or others who may be immunocompromised. Stay home if you are sick and leave children and pets at home if possible.

At this time, the City of Kimberley’s Planning and Operations Departments will hold meetings by phone or online conference as needed. To contact the City Operations Department call 250-427-9660 or email [email protected]. To contact the Planning Department call 250-427-5311 or email  [email protected] or [email protected]. You may also view the City of Kimberley Department directory to reach the appropriate individual for your needs:

Playgrounds and Public Washrooms at Rotary Park and Skate Park Now Open

Detailed signage has been placed at all parks and playgrounds outlining expectations for proper use. Please note that City staff will not be sanitizing playground equipment as the BC Parks and Recreation Association states that the UV rays from the sun, as well as rainwater, helps to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Washroom facilities will be cleaned once a day at opening with operating hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. each day. All washrooms and playground equipment are ‘use at your own risk’.

Making Utility and Property Tax Payments Online

Property Tax notices have been sent. To help ensure compliance with physical distancing recommendations for your safety as well as the safety of City Hall staff, we are strongly encouraging online payment through your financial institution. If you don’t have the technology available to pay online, financial institutions also provide the option of paying by phone.  If you have any questions about either of these payment options, please contact your financial institution.

Invasive Weeds

Annual Invasive Plant treatment has started thorough the city and each year the City of Kimberley works with a contractor to control Invasive Species found on municipal lands. All landowners/occupiers in the Province of British Columbia have a legal responsibility to control provincially and regionally listed Noxious Weeds according to The BC Weed Control Act. To report an Invasive Weed or for more information please contact the City of Kimberley Operations Desk at [email protected]

Wastewater Treatment Facility

The City of Kimberley’s Pollution Control Centre (PCC) is currently undertaking waste bio-solids (process residuals) removal. The PCC is located below Marysville, next to the confluence of Mark Creek and the St. Mary River. The PCC uses two drying beds to empty a larger sludge holding basin. There are two sludge holding basins, which hold sludge for three to five years. The second sludge holding basin is being emptied for the 2020 calendar year.

In addition to the use of the two drying beds, a sludge holding basin is also being used as a large drying bed. This substantially increases the surface area along with increased agitation for drying purposes, subsequently creating increased odours. This increased surface area is required to effectively remove and manage the bio-solids in a timely manner.

Once dried to from four per cent to 20% solids content, the bio-solids are then removed or composted, this step can also create increased odours. Bio-solids removal must be done in the spring and summer months to take advantage of warmer weather and is quite dependent on our local weather conditions.

The City of Kimberley thanks you for your patience during this required seasonal operation and maintenance.

Transit Update

Fare collection has resumed on all buses. A protective panel has been installed on all buses to allow for physical distancing between the driver and passengers. Enhanced cleaning procedures remain in effect. Please contact the transit office at 250-427-7400 or for more information.

2020 Dog Licenses

If you haven’t already done so, please get your dog licence renewed or obtain one if you don’t have one. The cost for a spayed or neutered dog is $23 and $57.50 for an unaltered dog. The fines for an unlicensed dog are as follows: $100 for the first offence and $200 for each subsequent offence. Please help our Animal Control Officer make sure your dog gets home without a trip to the BC SPCA. License your dog today!

City of Kimberley

Article Share