Family Fishing Derby postponed
Due to the poor weather and a lot of rain anticipated in the weekend forecast, the Family Fishing Derby for Kids with Cancer is postponed and will not be going ahead this Monday, February 9.
After significant consideration and consultation with past organizers, JCI Kootenay is making the tough decision to postpone the event. JCI Kootenay organizers have been dutifully monitoring ice conditions with the recent unseasonably mild temperatures. Currently the ice levels are still solid and safe; however, the forecasted continuous rain has created very slippery conditions.
As of February 6, Horseshoe Lake has about two inches of standing water and the roads going into the site have become very icy. In addition, the rain has made the toboggan hill very icy with uncovered, exposed rock. This will ultimately provide unsafe conditions for young families and not allow the Family Fishing Derby the chance to provide a fun event that is all about the kids.
With the continued rain and warm weather, conditions are not expected to improve for this BC Family Day.
JCI Kootenay organizers still plan to host the event by the first weekend in March. Participants are asked to hold onto their tickets until the Family Fishing Derby can be rescheduled on a new date. Should weather conditions continue to not improve, organizers will provide further information.
JCI Kootenay would like to sincerely thank the many businesses, volunteers and participants who have helped plan the derby and the hope is the event will happen at a later date. For more information, please contact event organizer Mike Matejka at 250-919-5532.