Trans-Canada to be open on long weekend
The Trans-Canada Highway will be open for passage during the Victoria Day long weekend, significantly reducing the traffic volumes on Highway 93 through Kootenay National Park and Highway 95 between Radium Hot Springs and Golden.
In a Kicking Horse Canyon traffic update, the Ministry of Transportation and Highways today released an updated schedule for highway openings and closures due to the work ongoing on Highway 1 from Golden Donald Upper Road to Yoho Bridge (four km east of Golden).
Major construction is underway to four-lane that traditionally dangerous stretch of highway.
Here’s a schedule of what is happening until the end of the month in terms of highway activity.
- Friday, May 21 noon to Tuesday, May 25 noon OPEN.
- Tuesday, May 25, noon to Friday, May 28, noon CLOSED.
- Saturday, May 29 — 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. single lane alternating traffic.
- Saturday, May 29 — 10 p.m. to Sunday, May 30 at 7 a.m. CLOSED.
- Sunday, May 30 — 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. — single lane alternating traffic.
- Sunday, May 30 — 10 p.m. to Monday, May 31 at 7 a.m. CLOSED.
- Monday, May 31 — 10 p.m. to Tuesday, June 1, 7 a.m. CLOSED.
During closures, detour south through Radium on Highway 93 to Highway 95 north to Golden (adds up to about 90 minutes travel time). Traffic becomes exceptionally heavy on the local highways when traffic converges after closures. Please travel carefully.
Lead image: The closure of the Trans-Canada again on Monday, May 17 produced a sudden and chaotic appearance of traffic in Radium Hot Springs and Kootenay National Park as long clusters of traffic arrived from Golden and Alberta around the same time, pictured above in Sinclair Canyon Carrie Schafer/e-KNOW photo