Imagine our shared future and remember our first 25 years
By David B. Savage
The Rotary Club of Cranbrook Sunrise hosted our Silver Anniversary Celebration on May 31, bringing together 88 members, past members, Interact, Youth Exchange, Sam Steele Ambassadors and invited guests.
We remember 25 years of friendship and service to our community and our world. We collaborate with our community. We focus on youth, leadership, biking, healthy families, and communities.
Highlights of the evening:
- An exceptional Silent Auction organized by the Cranbrook Interact Club raised further funds for their Peace Pole Project at Idlewild Peace Park. Sonya Zandbergen was their spokesperson.
- Lochlan Andrews and Cheryl Crich opened the celebrations with Name that Tune! Music of the past 25 years. Gift certificates for Allegra, Morchella, and the Heidout were among the prizes.
- Allan Davis presented Bill Gibbon with his Paul Harris +4 Award for his leadership.
- Mel McFarlane invited us to Imagine Rotary as we prepare for her term as President 2022-2023.
- Hardy Nielsen, our first President, spoke about our 1997 Charter and our Club’s achievements.
- Dewayne Penner, Assistant Governor, shared What Sunrise Rotary means to me.
- Sioban Staplin revealed our inspiring new Sunrise Rotary video.
Allegra provided excellent food and drink and the Royal Alexandra Hall was the perfect space for our celebration.
- Sam Steele Ambassadors Jaylyn Spyksma and Mia Miles;
- Youth Exchange student Dania Wasylowich;
- Artist of the Gran Fondo painting for The Foundry fundraiser Joseph and Sharon Cross;
- Rotary Club of Cranbrook President Leanne Jensen and a dozen Noon Club members;
- Cranbrook Interact Club leaders Riandra Hyatt, Sophia Chuan, Hanna Stelmack, Sonya Zandbergen, Tamika Rohbeck and Kiara Cameron.
In June of 1996, 32 Cranbrook Rotarians and spouses attended the Rotary International Convention in Calgary, Alberta. During one of the sessions George Watson, the President that year and Jim Cupidio, Secretary, suggested to Colin Campbell and Jim Chiu that it would be a great idea to have a new club chartered in the same year as the Cranbrook Rotary Club’s 75th Anniversary. We agreed and a committee was formed with four members of the Cranbrook Rotary Club: Jim Chiu, Colin Campbell, Hardy Nielsen and Gordon Walmsley.
The Rotary Club of Cranbrook Sunrise is honoured to engage with our community, our young leaders, our past members, and future members. We thank everyone for making our first 25 years significant and our next 25 years even more impactful.
We are Sunrise.