Home » Snowfall warning for Kootenay Pass

Posted: January 24, 2020

Snowfall warning for Kootenay Pass

Environment Canada this morning issued a Snowfall warning for the area between Kootenay Pass and Paulson Summit along Highway 3 west of Creston.

A long period of snowfall with total amounts of 20 to 25 cm continues, as a frontal system will bring heavy snow to Kootenay Pass and Paulson Summit today (Jan. 24).

“Warm air moving into the interior will cause snow levels to rise today, and snow will change to rain at lower elevations. However, near Kootenay Pass and Paulson Summit, snow will continue with a further 10 cm today before the snow eases early this evening,” states Environment Canada’s warning.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow.

Weather in the mountains can change suddenly resulting in hazardous driving conditions.

There is a 40 to 60% chance of rain or flurries in Cranbrook/Kimberley areas and the Columbia Valley today and tomorrow (Saturday, Jan. 25); a 60% chance of rain or flurries in the Elk Valley; and two to four cm of snow is anticipated for Kootenay National Park today along with a 40% chance of flurries tomorrow afternoon.

Lead image: Bridal Lake Cabin at Kootenay Pass. e-KNOW file photo

e-KNOW


Article Share
Author: