Elkford Aquatic Centre re-opening July 8
The District of Elkford is currently in Phase 3 of its four-phase COVID-19 re-opening plan. The next action step of the district’s four-phase plan is the re-opening of the Elkford Aquatic Centre on July 8.
Patrons can expect strict COVID-19 protocols and are asked to practise patience while we all work together to operate under provincial and federal safety guidelines and orders. As you may recall, the annual pool maintenance shutdown took place prior to the COVID-19 closures. During the shutdown, as well as during the closure, staff has been busy making improvements to the facility. We are excited to welcome you back to the pool and to show off the improvements.
The district continues to prioritize the health and safety of its employees and citizens. As such, we respectfully ask patrons to adhere to public advisory signage and staff direction when visiting the facility.
Key changes and protocols in place include (but are not limited to):
- All children 14 years and under must be accompanied by a responsible person, 16 years or older, to ensure physical distancing requirements are maintained. No exceptions. The responsible person does not have to enter the water, but they must be present on the pool deck.
- As always, in accordance with provincial guidelines, all children under seven require a responsible person, 16 years or older, to accompany them in the water and be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Capacity limits are in place for each swim category, and admittance is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Locker usage is limited, and patrons are asked to leave personal belongings in a dry, designated area on the pool deck that is monitored and observable by all.
- Before entering the pool, patrons are asked to use the soap and shower rinse that is located on the pool deck (rather than in the change rooms).
- Minimal equipment is available, and we ask that personal pool toys and swim equipment are left at home.
- The hot tub is open with strict capacity limits.
- The sauna and slides remain closed until further notice.
- Swimming lessons are not offered until further notice.
- Bathrooms, life jackets and sports balls are available for use during swim times.
- Staff are present to guide patrons through a staggered exit plan, providing everyone with an opportunity to use the changerooms and showers at the end of the swim.
A COVID-19 Pool Guidelines Brochure was distributed via Canada Post to all residents on Friday, July 3.
The brochure details all the protocols and changes; and it can be viewed at www.elkford.ca by clicking the Leisure Services link on the right side of the homepage, as well as on Facebook at the District of Elkford page.
The new pool schedule is accessible in the same location.
We appreciate your understanding as we adjust to this new normal, and we remind you that every citizen plays an important role in the collective health and safety of our families and the community. Please do your part by adhering to the ongoing direction of health authorities, and the direction of staff and signage when visiting district facilities.
As the COVID-19 situation rapidly evolves, and following the orders and directives of health authorities, the District continues to monitor and plan toward the future return to full operations. We advise that the district’s re-opening plan is subject to change at the district’s discretion, or in response to provincial orders and directives.
e-KNOW file photo
District of Elkford