Sparwood Council Facts
Development Variance Permit (DVP) 9555 Highway 43
Council approved issuance of DVP 2019-008 and granted the variance to the Mobile Home Parks Bylaw to decrease the minimum width of a mobile home space from 15 metres to 12.1 metres in Lodgepole Mobile Home Park to permit a new mobile home space at 37A.
Winter Trail Maintenance
Council approved entering into a winter trail grooming service agreement with Sparwood Trails Alliance (STA) for grooming a winter trail network in Sparwood for the 2019-2020 winter season. Council also directed staff to prepare a recreational land use permit between the district and STA for development of trails in Sparwood Heights. The permit will come back to a future meeting for council’s consideration.
Council approved a land use permit between the District of Sparwood and Valley Riders – Sparwood Society for use of the rodeo grounds for horse training and events. The permit is for a term of five years commencing October 6 at a fee of $10 per year.
Council awarded the tender for 2019 sidewalk improvements project to Terus Construction Ltd., dba BA Blacktop (Cranbrook) for an amount of $417,176. Work on sidewalks along Aspen Drive, Red Cedar Drive and Ponderosa Drive will take place in 2020.
Leisure Centre Concession Lease
Council declined a request from Putters Grill to waive concession lease payments of $500 per month during July and August when the concession was closed.
Road Closure Signs
Council authorized the purchase of four signs to regulate traffic during special events and parades such as Remembrance Day, Day of Mourning, Sparwood Market, Coal Miner Days, etc.
Council authorized submission of grant applications for the following projects:
- Community Emergency Preparedness Fund – Structural Flood Mitigation 2019 Program for the Elk River Pedestrian Bridge Bank Stabilization Project. If approved, the $510,000 project would be 100% funded through the grant.
- Asset Management Planning Program to develop a District of Sparwood Asset Management Plan. If approved 50% of the $30,000 project cost would be funded through the grant.
The District of Sparwood Main Office and Public Works Office will be closed Monday, October 14, to observe the Thanksgiving Day Stat Holiday.
UPCOMING DISTRICT MEETINGS
- Town Hall Meeting at Seniors’ Drop-In Centre, 101 Pine Avenue on Thursday, October 10 at 6 p.m.
- Regular Meeting in Council Chambers on Tuesday, October 15 at 6 p.m.
- Committee of the Whole Meeting in Council Chambers on Tuesday, October 29 at 6 p.m.
District of Sparwood