Sparwood Council Facts
Preston Seier and Muyami Murabayashi, representing TC Energy, formerly TransCanada, provided an overview and updates on the proposed West Path 2022 and West Path 2023 projects. The proposed WASML2 Alberta British Columbia Section will consist of approximately 5.8km of 48-inch diameter pipeline, located approximately six km west of Coleman, Alberta. Foothills and NGTL conducted socio-economic assessments (SEA) to consider potential effects of the projects on nearby communities. The projects will not create significant adverse socioeconomic effects given the low scale construction and operations activities.
Business Licence Amendment Bylaw
Business Licence Amendment Bylaw 1272, 2020 was adopted. This amendment established guidelines for the approval of temporary retail and patio/food service spaces on municipal land.
Traffic, Parking, and Highways Regulations Bylaw
Traffic, Parking, and Highways Regulations Bylaw Amendment 1273, 2020 was adopted. This amendment was in support of the provision allowing businesses to use public sidewalks, land, and roads for the development of a temporary patio or retail.
Rural and Northern Community Program
Council approved recommendations from a Report of Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program, these include:
- Staff to apply for $1.5 million to the program for wastewater treatment plant upgrades, subject to a maximum project cost of $3 million;
- Budget amendment to allocate $50,000 from sewer reserves for the development of project design and planning documents;
- Staff to prepare a Borrowing Bylaw in the amount of $600,000 in support of grant application.
Community, Culture, and Recreation Program
Council discussed the potential of applying for this program with Infrastructure Canada for the development of a multi-purpose facility. Council decided not to apply and wait until further planning and community consultation work is completed.
UPCOMING DISTRICT COUNCIL MEETINGS
- Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting on Tuesday, August 18 at 4 p.m. in Council Chambers
- Regular Meeting on Tuesday, August 18 at 6 p.m. in Council Chambers
District of Sparwood