B.C.’s COVID-19 update for January 12
B.C. is today reporting 2,859 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 288,939 cases in the province. Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are currently 36,641 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 246,693 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 500 individuals are currently in hospital and 102 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 534 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 4,628);
* 982 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 16,524);
* 697 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 10,102);
* 195 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 1,139);
* 451 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 4,245).
In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for a total of 2,455.
There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at Kelowna General Hospital (Interior Health), Langley Memorial Hospital, Laurel Place, Burnaby Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital (Fraser Health). The outbreak at Ridgeview Lodge (Interior Health) has been declared over, for a total of 49 facilities with ongoing outbreaks.
As of Wednesday, Jan. 12, 88.9% (4,429,847) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.2% (4,148,538) have received their second dose.
In addition, 92.2% (4,275,308) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.5% (4,148,174) received their second dose and 27.9% (1,293,926) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.6% (4,005,282) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 90% (3,891,188) received their second dose and 29.9% (1,292,823) have received a third dose.
From Jan. 4-10, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 20.1% of cases and from Dec. 28 to Jan. 10, they accounted for 35.9% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Jan. 4-10) – Total 18,737
* Not vaccinated: 3,162 (16.9%)
* Partially vaccinated: 599 (3.2%)
* Fully vaccinated: 14,976 (79.9%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 28 to Jan. 10) – Total 615
* Not vaccinated: 194 (31.5%)
* Partially vaccinated: 27 (4.4%)
* Fully vaccinated: 394 (64.1%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 4-10)
* Not vaccinated: 468.5
* Partially vaccinated: 192.1
* Fully vaccinated: 324.9
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 28 to Jan. 10)
* Not vaccinated: 47.2
* Partially vaccinated: 22.2
* Fully vaccinated: 8.5
Since December 2020, the province has administered 9,834,018 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Paediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
e-KNOW file photo