B.C.’s COVID-19 update for January 5
B.C. is today reporting 3,798 new cases of COVID-19, including 11 epi-linked cases, for a total of 270,508 cases in the province.
There are 29,967 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 237,195 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 317 individuals are in hospital and 83 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 473 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 2,563);
* 1,739 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 13,920);
* 840 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 9,100);
* 179 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 750);
* 566 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 3,631).
In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for a total of 2,427.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Lions Gate Hospital, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre and UBC Hospital – Detwiller Pavillion (Vancouver Coastal Health) have been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks.
As of Wednesday, Jan. 5, 88.3% (4,402,649) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.0% (4,138,255) have received their second dose.
In addition, 92.0% (4,266,177) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.3% (4,138,007) received their second dose and 21.5% (998,164) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.4% (3,996,885) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.7% (3,881,820) received their second dose and 23.1% (997,224) have received a third dose.
From Dec. 28 to Jan. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 16.2% of cases, and from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3, they accounted for 51.4% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3) – Total 22,600
* Not vaccinated: 3,127 (13.8%)
* Partially vaccinated: 542 (2.4%)
* Fully vaccinated: 18,931 (83.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3) – Total 173
* Not vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)
* Partially vaccinated: 5 (2.8%)
* Fully vaccinated: 84 (48.6%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 28 to Jan. 3)
* Not vaccinated: 465.8
* Partially vaccinated: 148.1
* Fully vaccinated: 412.3
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 21 to Jan. 3)
* Not vaccinated: 19.6
* Partially vaccinated: 4.3
* Fully vaccinated: 1.8
Since December 2020, the province has administered 9,502,325 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.
Lead image: Outside the Cranbrook COVID-19 testing clinic located beside East Kootenay Regional Hospital. Photo submitted