B.C.’s COVID-19 update for October 6
As of Wednesday, Oct. 6, 88.4% (4,098,733) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 81.9% (3,797,462) received their second dose.
In addition, 88.9% (3,845,695) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.7% (3,575,790) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 752 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 191,124 cases in the province.
There are 5,945 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 182,786 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 350 individuals are in hospital and 136 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 164 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 1,142);
* 297 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 2,349);
* 85 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 824);
* 130 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 829);
* 76 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 743).
In the past 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,992.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health). The outbreaks at The Hamlets at Westsyde (Interior Health) and Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health) have been declared over, for a total of 18 active outbreaks including at Cranbrook’s Joseph Creek Care Village.
From Sept. 28-Oct. 4, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.2% of cases and from Sept. 21-Oct. 4, they accounted for 77.6% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 28-Oct. 4) – Total 4,894
* Not vaccinated: 3,117 (63.7%);
* Partially vaccinated: 316 (6.5%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,461 (29.9%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 21-Oct. 4) – Total 420
* Not vaccinated: 291 (69.3%);
* Partially vaccinated: 35 (8.3%);
* Fully vaccinated: 94 (22.4%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 28-Oct. 4)
* Not vaccinated: 296.8;
* Partially vaccinated: 89.0;
* Fully vaccinated: 35.5;
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 21-Oct. 4)
* Not vaccinated: 44.0;
* Partially vaccinated: 16.3;
* Fully vaccinated: 2.1.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,908,832 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
e-KNOW file photo