B.C.’s COVID-19 update for Sept. 16
As of Thursday, Sept. 16, 86.3% (3,998,779) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.8% (3,652,033) received their second dose.
In addition, 86.8% (3,755,686) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.7% (3,445,951) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 706 new cases of COVID-19, including three epi-linked cases, for a total of 177,186 cases in the province.
There are 5,844 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 169,083 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 291 individuals are in hospital and 134 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 213 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 1,504);
* 203 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 1,784);
* 105 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 1,051);
* 104 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 857);
* 81 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 638).
In the past 24 hours, four new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,877.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health). The outbreaks at Nicola Meadows and Rose Woods Village (Interior Health) have been declared over, for a total of 23 active outbreaks.
From Sept. 8-14, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 76.1% of cases and from Sept. 1-14 they accounted for 86.4% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 8-14) – Total 4,914
* Not vaccinated: 3,347 (68.1%);
* Partially vaccinated: 391 (8.0%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,176 (23.9%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 1-14) – Total 390
* Not vaccinated: 318 (81.5%);
* Partially vaccinated: 19 (4.9%);
* Fully vaccinated: 53 (13.6%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 8-14)
* Not vaccinated: 320.9;
* Partially vaccinated: 98.6;
* Fully vaccinated: 30.
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 1-14)
* Not vaccinated: 44.0;
* Partially vaccinated: 7.6;
* Fully vaccinated: 1.2.
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 35.7 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,658,443 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
e-KNOW file photo