Wasa’s Nowell Berg eyes Area E seat
Wasa resident Nowell Berg has announced his candidacy for Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) Electoral Area E Director in the up-coming election.
“If you want effective representation, then vote for me,” he said. “Regular meetings with residents and community groups will be held to gather comments, ideas and input. I will listen to what you have to say. You will be heard.”
Berg is a candidate because:
- The Area E Director must represent all residents, even those with differing points of view, and work collaboratively toward fair compromise solutions;
- A director must be accountable and transparent along with providing effective representation on the RDEK board;
Berg says he will work with residents, community groups and businesses to secure RDEK, Columbia Basin Trust, Provincial and Federal funding for local projects and programs.
Particular issues of interest:
- rural fire prevention and suppression;
- waste management and transfer station maintenance;
- educational opportunities for rural students;
- effective RDEK Bylaw enforcement;
- enhanced RCMP patrols throughout the area.
A long-time Wasa resident, Nowell lives with his wife, Wanda, on family property owned since 1949. He has deep roots in Area E and the East Kootenay.
With a strong educational background in government and politics, Berg’s participation in the local community includes over three years as a Trustee on the Board of the Wasa Lake Land Improvement District (WLLID). He volunteers to write the feature article each month for the Tri-Village Buzz along with supporting local fundraising activities.
His professional business experience includes sales, marketing and corporate communications for a variety of companies in the Canadian energy, marketing research and media sectors.
Municipal, regional district and school board elections are Saturday, Oct. 20.