Mailboxes tampered with in Fernie and Sparwood
Elk Valley RCMP reports it has received numerous complaints of damage to mailboxes over the past two months in the areas of Fernie and Sparwood.
“The significant damage to the box’s door and frame was likely a result of prying with a thin, flat bar,” said A/Cpl Debra Katerenchuk of Elk Valley RCMP.
As this is an active police investigation, if anyone has information relating to the damaged mailboxes, you are asked to contact the Elk Valley RCMP at 250-425-6233 or remain anonymous, she said.
Police also ask residents to be alert to online home deliveries being poached from doorsteps.
“As Christmas approaches, many people are sending gifts and receiving gifts through the mail. The pandemic has caused more and more people to shop online, which means there will be an increase of items delivered through the mail,” Katerenchuk pointed out, adding, “RCMP would prefer to not hear about a suspicious male, possibly dressed like the Grinch, stealing parcels off people’s front doorsteps.”
Elk Valley RCMP provided these tips for keeping your mail/parcels safe:
* Check your mail every day.
* If you plan to be away, have a trusted neighbour or family member check your mail.
* Plan to be home when packages are supposed to arrive or arrange an alternate pickup location.
* Do not mail cash.
* Track your shipments, and if possible, opt for a ‘signature required’ delivery.
* Even better, consider installing surveillance cameras.
e-KNOW file photo