Teck update reports 25 active COVID-19 cases
The company reports it has implemented enhanced response protocols and preventative measures to safeguard workers and local communities.
In addition, an on-site review of Fording River Operations and the water treatment facility construction site conducted last week by Interior Health confirmed Teck is taking the correct steps to manage transmission of COVID-19, the company said.
There are currently seven active cases of COVID-19 at Fording River Operations, four active cases at Elkview Operations, and 14 active cases at the Active Water Treatment Facility construction project adjacent to Fording River Operations.
These results relate to testing that took place between November 30 and December 12.
Enhanced response protocols and preventative measures include:
- Mandatory use of C95 or KN95 respirators in indoor settings and workspaces for all employees, contractors and visitors.
- Implementing enhanced and increased screening of all individuals arriving at site to reflect current provincial health restrictions.
- Temporarily reducing the workforce at the Active Water Treatment facility construction site.
- Reduced occupancy of the Elk Valley Lodge contractor housing facility.
- Implementing proactive self-tracking of interactions and close contacts by all employees and Contractors.
These additional measures build on existing protocols and measures already in place at Teck’s sites, the company added.
“Teck is working closely with public health authorities and has taken all necessary steps to manage the risk of transmission, including tracing all potential contacts, disinfecting work areas, and directing all employees and contractors to self-monitor for symptoms and self-isolate if required,” the company media release said.
More information about Teck’s response protocols and preventative measures, as well as the current COVID-19 case status for the steelmaking coal operations can be found at www.teck.com/coalresponse.
Lead image: Teck reports four active cases at Elkview Operations at Sparwood. e-KNOW file photo