8 Reasons to drink lemon water daily
Want to lose weight, heal faster and digest food more easily? All it takes is a glass of lemon water every morning.
Drinking half a lemon, freshly squeezed and added to a tall glass of warm or hot water offers a wealth of benefits to the human body.
1. Immune System Booster: Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. They also contain saponin, which has anti-microbial properties that may keep colds and flu at bay. The anti-inflammatory properties in the Vitamin C boost your immune system and the potassium stimulates brain and nerve functions as well as helping to lower blood pressure.
2. PH Balancer: Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. It is acidic in nature, but once consumed and metabolized, its effect on the digestive system is alkalizing. When the body’s pH is too acidic or too alkaline, it doesn’t function properly. When the blood is slightly alkaline, you feel healthier, more energetic and stronger.
3. Weight Control: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
4. Digestive Aid: Lemon juice helps flush out toxins. It stimulates and purifies the liver, which assists digestion and helps to reduce or eliminate heartburn and constipation.
5. Diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination, helping to release toxins more quickly and increasing the health of the urinary tract.
6. Wrinkle and Blemish/Scar Reducer: Vitamin C and antioxidants in lemons help to minimize wrinkles and blemishes. When consumed regularly, lemon water purges toxins from the blood, assisting the body to function and repair itself more easily. Another tip is to rub a lemon slice directly on scars twice a day to reduce them.
7. Breath Freshener: Not only can lemon water freshen your breath, it can help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. Just remember to keep to a single glass a day so as not to damage tooth enamel with excess acidity!
8. Induces Calm – When we are subjected to stress, Vitamin C is depleted first. The warmth of the water together with the high vitamin C content helps to calm you and boost your immune system. As already mentioned, the potassium content keeps your blood pressure down resulting in a much calmer you.
In this day and age of high stress, unhealthy diets and low energy levels, lemon water is an inexpensive and readily available boost to your system. Why not give it a try? Your body deserves a break!
– Anne Davis is a writer, blogger, artist and photography buff. Born in Quebec, she now lives in Kimberley, BC where she is editor of and contributor to the City of Kimberley’s Active Community Guide and webmaster for the City’s websites.