RDEK Board Highlights
Servicing Agreements signed
The board chair and chief administrative officer of the Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) have signed five-year Agreements with the Shuswap Indian Band for RDEK and Kootenay East Regional Hospital District services provided to the Shuswap Reserve (native and non-native use). In the past, the RDEK has had service agreements for non-native use (leased reserve land); however, this is the first time an agreement has been reached for native use.
Emergency Coordinator and Deputy Coordinator appointments
Agreements have been signed with the Emergency Program Coordinators and Deputy Coordinators/ Emergency Social Services Coordinator for the three RDEK Emergency Programs through December 2016.
The coordinators and deputies are as follows:
– Columbia Valley: Coordinator Gary Burford; Deputy/ ESS Coordinator Sharon Pasowisty.
– Central: Coordinator Gerry Smith.
– Elk Valley and South Country: Coordinator Marianne Stone; Deputy/ESS Coordinator Jennifer Asselin.
Letters of appreciation to be sent
A letter will be written to both the Windermere Bottle Depot Group and the Copper Point Golf Course for their respective contributions to the Windermere Beach and Crossroads Ballpark. The Windermere Bottle Depot Group donated $2945.62, which will be used to purchase two new concrete picnic tables at Windermere Beach. The Golf Course has provided in-kind donations and assistance at the Crossroads Ballpark and has been an exemplary neighbour.
Proposed zoning amendments
The regional board Dec. 12 considered two bylaws for initial readings and authorized public hearings to gather the views of the public.
Bylaw 2553 authorizes a site-specific amendment for the Lautrup property on Highway 95 in Edgewater. The bylaw proposes to permit parking of commercial trucks on a portion of the property. The public hearing will be held on Monday, January 5.
Bylaw 2554 authorizes a site-specific text amendment for the Roberts property on Elm Road in Wasa. The bylaw proposes to reduce the required minimum site area from 1670 m2 to 1270 m2 to accommodate a proposed two parcel subdivision. The public hearing will be held Tuesday, December 30.
The chair and CAO signed the agreement with the District of Sparwood for provision of fire protection service to the Upper Elk Valley Fire Protection Service Area for the term January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2019.
Special Event Licences granted
Fairmont Hot Springs Resort has been granted two special event licences, subject to the resort taking all necessary precautions to prevent fires. The licences are for the resort’s annual Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve Fireworks shows.
Discretionary Grants in Aid (DGIA)
– The Fernie Alpine Ski Team will receive $1,000 from the Electoral Area A DGIA account for the Fernie Alpine Resort’s New Year’s Eve Fireworks display.
– The Triangle Women’s Institute will receive $1,500 from the Electoral Area B DGIA account to go towards the upgrading of their Pioneer Wall. The wall features photos of people who have lived in the Grasmere area in the past 150 years.
– Summit Community Services Society will receive $1,000 from the Electoral Area C DGIA account and $1,000 from the Electoral Area E DGIA account for the Police Based Victims Services Program.
– The Wasa and District Lion’s Club will receive $500 from the Electoral Area E DGIA account for the purchase of a Medichair Walker. In addition, the club will receive $2,500 from the Area E DGIA account for the Family Winter Festival Day, being held Dec. 31 at the newly opened rink.
– The Family Resource Centre will receive $1,000 from the Electoral Area F DGIA account and $500 from the Electoral Area G DGIA account for the Prescription Contraceptive Subsidization Proposal.
– The Panorama Mountain Freeride Club will receive $4,000 from the Electoral Area F DGIA account and $500 from the Electoral Area G DGIA account for a laptop and race equipment for the Kootenay Freestyle Classic.
– The Columbia Valley Chamber of Commerce will receive $3,000 from the Electoral Area F DGIA account and $500 from the Electoral Area G DGIA account for renovations to the chamber to create a business service centre.
– SQx Danza will receive $500 from the Electoral Area G DGIA account to help cover expenses associated with its Interactive Dance Awareness Program.
– Columbia Valley Community Directed Funds Committee – January 19, 2015—10:30 a.m. at Windermere Fire Hall
Monday, December 29 — 7 p.m.
Cliffhanger Restaurant—1860 Greywolf Drive, Panorama — The RDEK Board of Directors is considering an application by Cliffhanger Golf Ltd. to amend the operating hours of a Food Primary Liquor Licence.
Wasa Community Hall—6145 Wasa School Road, Wasa Bylaw No. 2554—Regional District of East Kootenay – Electoral Area E Zoning & Floodplain Management Bylaw No. 2502, 2014 – Amendment Bylaw No. 4, 2014 (Wasa / Roberts)
Monday, January 5, 2015—7 p.m.
Edgewater Community Hall—4818 Selkirk Avenue, Edgewater Bylaw No. 2553—Regional District of East Kootenay – Upper Columbia Valley Zoning Bylaw No. 900, 1992 – Amendment Bylaw No. 295, 2014 (Edgewater / Lautrup).
Next board meetings
Thursday, Jan. 8 – RDEK Committee Meetings – TBA.
Friday, Jan. 9 – RDEK Board Meeting and Kootenay East Regional Hospital District meeting – 9 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.