B.C.’s COVID-19 update for October 20
As of Wednesday, Oct. 20, 89.3% (4,138,787) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.6% (3,876,579) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.7% (3,881,593) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 84.3% (3,646,128) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 696 new cases of COVID-19, including eight epi-linked cases, for a total of 199,534 cases in the province.
There are 4,888 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 192,189 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 370 individuals are in hospital and 139 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 118 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 795);
* 252 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 1,929);
* 76 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 724);
* 191 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 864);
* 59 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 517).
In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for a total of 2,092.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Swedish Assisted Living Residence (Fraser Health), for a total of 24 active outbreaks.
From Oct. 12-18, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 67.2% of cases and from Oct. 5-18, they accounted for 74.9% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 12-18) – Total 4,145
* Not vaccinated: 2,488 (60.0%);
* Partially vaccinated: 296 (7.2%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,361 (32.8%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 5-18) – Total 458
* Not vaccinated: 315 (68.8%);
* Partially vaccinated: 28 (6.1%);
* Fully vaccinated: 115 (25.1%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 12-18)
* Not vaccinated: 294.3;
* Partially vaccinated: 86.9;
* Fully vaccinated: 32.1.
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 5-18)
* Not vaccinated: 54.1;
* Partially vaccinated: 11.9;
* Fully vaccinated: 2.6.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 8,088,314 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
e-KNOW file photo