B.C.’s COVID-19 update for Sept. 23
As of Thursday, Sept. 23, 87.3% (4,046,960) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 79.9% (3,701,696) received their second dose.
In addition, 87.8% (3,799,479) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 80.7% (3,490,764) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 832 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 181,769 cases in the province.
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are 5,697 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 173,786 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 330 individuals are in hospital and 148 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 153 new cases in Interior Health (total active cases: 1,181);
* 377 new cases in Fraser Health (total active cases: 1,932);
* 114 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health (total active cases: 909);
* 117 new cases in Northern Health (total active cases: 977);
* 71 new cases in Island Health (total active cases: 654).
In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,915.
The new deaths include two in Interior Health, two in Fraser Health and one in Northern Health.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreak at Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health) has been declared over, for a total of 22 active outbreaks.
From Sept. 15-21, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 75.5% of cases and from Sept. 8-21, they accounted for 82.6% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 15-21) – Total 4,417
* Not vaccinated: 2,996 (67.8%);
* Partially vaccinated: 342 (7.7%);
* Fully vaccinated: 1,079 (24.4%).
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 8-21) – Total 437
* Not vaccinated: 327 (74.8%);
* Partially vaccinated: 34 (7.8%);
* Fully vaccinated: 76 (17.4%).
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 15-21)
* Not vaccinated: 289.0;
* Partially vaccinated: 87.9;
* Fully vaccinated: 27.0.
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 8-21)
* Not vaccinated: 46.5;
* Partially vaccinated: 13.3;
* Fully vaccinated: 1.8.
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 25.8 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,756,634 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Lead image: A recent look at COVID-19 case counts across the province courtesy the BC Centre for Disease Control.