Evacuation Order issued for Lazy Lake Road property
With recommendations from the BC Wildfire Service and in advance of the planned direct suppression action, the Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) has issued an Evacuation Order for one property on Lazy Lake Road.
There are now three properties under Evacuation Order and 52 properties under Evacuation Alert. “Everyone within the Alert area is reminded to remain ready and prepared to leave on a moment’s notice should the situation change,” said East Kootenay Regional Emergency Operations Director Fiona Dercole.
- Evacuation Alert in effect for 52 properties in the Lazy Lake, Lakit Lake and Holmes Road area, including one property on Wildhorse Forest Service Road;
- Evacuation Order in effect for one property on Lazy Lake Road;
- Evacuation Order in effect for two properties east of Saugum Lake, on Lakit Creek FSR.
The Bill Nye Mountain Fire is currently estimated at 1,107 hectares in size and is a Fire of Note on the BC Wildfire website at www.bcwildfire.ca
Residents in the East Kootenay are encouraged to ensure they are prepared by:
- registering for the local evacuation notification system;
- having grab and go kits;
- making an emergency plan; and, staying aware of local conditions.
“Taking theses steps can make a big difference in the event of an emergency, when time is of the essence,” added Dercole. To register for the evacuation notification system, and get tips on emergency preparedness, visit www.rdek.bc.ca.