Porch picaroons looking for your Christmas parcels
Elk Valley RCMP would like to warn the public about ‘porch pirates’- people who snap up parcels left on doorsteps, especially during the Christmas season. An increase in online shopping means more parcels and more opportunities for the Grinch to strike.
“Don’t become a victim and use some basic rules around home deliveries,” advised Cst. Debra Katerenchuk of Elk Valley RCMP.
Some suggestions might be:
- Make arrangements to have things delivered when you know you will be home.
- Have deliveries go to your workplace or local post office.
- Have deliveries dropped at a friend’s or neighbour’s place.
- Request a delivery notification.
- Have a lock box.
- Install video cameras to deter thieves.
“It is of no surprise, thieves will be on the lookout for anything they can steal,” Cst. Katerenchuk said.